So you’re a big fan of City of Refuge Children’s Home, and now you want to give us a hand. Maybe you came down on a missions trip, or maybe you heard about us through a friend. Maybe you just fell in love with our kids and now you want to get to know them better.
Well, we can help! No, you can’t take our kids home with you, but you can spend some time getting to know one of them better… or more than one if you’d like. With our Child Sponsorship program you can help us support one or more of our children while building a meaningful relationship with them by sending them letters and gifts.
Benefits To The Kids
How It Works
TCM’s Child Sponsorship program is a way for you to help ensure that the children of City of Refuge have food and clothing, and a good education. As a Child Sponsor, you will send us $50 each month that will go toward supplying these needs for the children. Fifty dollars a month, less than the cost of a cup of gourmet coffee each day, may not be much for you, but it will make a significant difference in the life of a child here in Tijuana, Mexico.
Where The Money Goes
Be assured that 100% of your Child Sponsorship donations go toward meeting the needs of our children. But more than that, through committing to give us a hand through Child Sponsorship, you have the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the life of a special child.
How To Begin
Here are four simple steps you can follow to start making a difference in the life of a child today!
1. Fill out and submit the below online form…
2. Receive a profile of the child you have selected to sponsor so that you can begin to get to know him or her better.
3. Send your child sponsorship donations to Tijuana Christian Mission each month and receive tax-deductible donation receipts for each gift.
4. Begin communicating with your sponsored child through letters or packages, and begin to develop a lasting relationship with him or her.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why might my child have more than one sponsor?Historically kids have been allowed up to four sponsors. There are various reasons for this, but among the biggest are (1) sponsors come and go and some are less consistent with their giving than others, (2) the idea behind the sponsorship program is to maintain a relationship between the child and the sponsor via care packages, letters, etc. Sponsors are typically very encouraging and life-giving to the children, so the more sponsors who tell the kids how loved and valued they are the better, (3) the sponsorship dollars do not go into a sub-account in the child’s name but to the general budget for food, water, medical, and education expenses for all children, therefore the more sponsors the higher quality of provision for all the kids at the home, and (4) the cost of care for each child typically exceeds — by a wide margin — the amount a sponsor gives each month, so multiple sponsors are helpful.
- Can I send my child gifts? Letters?Yes! Your child would love to receive cards and letters and of course, presents! You can send letters in English and we will translate them for you. You can mail packages to the PO Box at the very bottom of this page.
- Can I send my child money?No, please do not send your child money. In the past, money causes more problems than it helps. We prefer you send items such as clothes, toys or shoes.
- How long will my child stay at TCM?Your child could be with us anywhere from a few months to 10 years or more. We don’t always know when a child will leave. If the child was brought by his or her parents, the parents sometimes change their mind and take the kids home. If Children’s Services brought the child, then at any point, the child might be taken back home (if the situation is resolved) or even sometimes moved to a different orphanage. Each situation is different.
- What happens if my child leaves TCM?If your child leaves TCM, we will contact you and ask if you would like to sponsor a different child or cease sponsorship altogether.
- Can I come visit my child?Yes! Contact us in advance so we can be sure to have a staff member ready to host your visit!
- How often will I hear from my child?At least twice a year you will receive a letter from your child, as well as any time you send a letter or package, your child will answer you!